BEnourished | Avocado Chocolate Cake
Posted by: Saschan Fearon
As National Baking Week draws to a close, as promised in our feature earlier this week sharing the 11 ways to use baking soda to boost your outer glow we’ve come up with a simple and delicious chocolate cake recipe to share with you.
The recipe uses natural ingredients and is egg and dairy free so is suitable for all of our vegan friends. Plain flour can also be substituted with gluten-free flour for those with intolerances.
Unusual additions such as avocado and coconut oil make the cake nutritious, moist and rich. The result is an indulgent taste which will make you forget that you’re getting a portion of your daily nutrients.
Avocados are rich in fibre, essential fatty acids and a range of vitamins and minerals. Especially abundant in potassium; which helps control fluid balance in the body, vitamin K; which ensures your blood clots correctly and folate; which is key to women’s reproductive health, especially those in the early stages of conception and pregnancy.
Coconut oil is a great source of energy thanks to its medium chain triglyceride content. As well as being nourishing, it can multitask as a skin moisturiser, a hair mask and a make-up remover, to name but a few.
Cocoa is full of flavanoids, fibre and a cocktail of minerals which will leave your mood enhanced and your body boosted.
What you will need
- A small, fully ripe avocado – peeled, stoned and cubed
- 150g brown sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 25g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200ml unsweetened soy milk
- 75ml coconut oil, preferably extra virgin organic
- A teaspoon of baking powder
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160C, gas mark 3
- Grease and line a 20cm/8” baking tin
- Mix the avocado and sugar until well combined
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix until a smooth batter forms
- Pour into the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Leave the cake to cool
- Enjoy this decadent treat with fresh berries and cream
Share your avocado recipes with us!